We are thrilled that we are just days away from our Paper Petals Plates and Etiquette and Entrepreneurship Luncheon events that will feature the fabulous etiquette expert, Myka Meier! We wrote another blog post about Myka here if you would like to read more about her. But in the meantime, she has allowed us to share her expertise on how job candidates can pen the perfect post-interview thank you note. Her advice follows…
- In the age of technology when it’s most common to email or text, it’s more impactful than ever to send a handwritten thank you note after an interview. Here are a few tips to follow to ensure your thank you note stands out!
- Timing – I recommend dropping your thank you letter in the post the same day of the interview (or as soon as possible). As it could take a couple of days to reach the recipient, it will arrive perfectly timed
- Opening- Starting your letter with “Dear XX” is still best for formal business; signing off with “Best regards” is recommended as the formal sign off for corporate protocol
- First line – Jackie Kennedy taught us that the most impactful letters to show gratitude never have the first line start off with “Thank you for…” and instead a line that creates emotion and sets you apart such as: “I’m truly grateful for the opportunity to come in to interview for a director position at the firm and meet with you. I left feeling enthusiastic about both the role and how my experience could truly make a valuable contribution to the XYZ team. Thank you for taking the time to meet with me…etc.
- Call to action – Always include something specific that you spoke about that shows you really enjoyed both the interview, opportunity and conversation. End the thank you note by saying if the opportunity presented itself, you would be available to meet with the rest of the team or answer any questions.
- Equally important – Your stationery is a tangible takeaway of yourself – so make sure it represents your style yet remains professional
We, of course, love that Myka recognizes the importance of stylish stationery! We think our Diamond Pineapple notecards or our Watercolor notecards would make a very impressionable, yet still professional, statement for your thank you notes!
And if you simply cannot get enough of Myka (We understand! She’s fabulous!), you must enter to win the one-on-one session with her that Regions HerVision HerLegacy has so generously sponsored. To learn more about this giveaway and to enter to win, please visit our Instagram page.